Sunday, March 6, 2011

Lions Gate Quilters Guild Community Quilt day

    On Friday and Saturday, the local quilt guild that I belong to, held  Community Quilts sewing days at one of the local churches.  We had a big hall, with lots of room.  Some of the ladies put together quilt kits from all of the fabric that has been donated or purchased with funds raised.  Other ladies layered and pin basted quilts to be ready for quilting.  Yet another group of ladies stitched binding and labels on quilts.   Then there was a group of us that picked out a kit and got to work sewing wonderful quilts together. 





    I picked out a kit called Chinese Coins.  The first day I sewed strips together, cut them apart and then sewed them together again.  Then I added the sashings, gave it a press, measured the side borders and called it a day. The second day I put on the borders, pressed it again and then handed it over to the wonderful ladies who layered and basted it for me.  I now have it at home ready to be quilted. 


     Just after lunch on the first day, Rosalind, the coordinator, brought out a box containing a quilt kit, an Amish Quilt, and asked if anyone would be interested in completing the quilt.  It had everything in it, the Quilt in a Day pattern, the cut strips (5 different blues, and 5 different pinks), all the black fabric, the border fabric and the backing. It is a quilt that I have always wanted to make, but wondered if I would like it enough when finished to keep it.  Being on a limited income for extras, it just wasn't in the budget.  But now I can make it, and then donate it to a great cause. So after I completed the top for the Chinese Coins quilt, I started sewing the 5 blue strips together.  I read thru the instructions and loved the way the blocks are put together.   As I am going along, I will post some pictures of how this is being done.  It is a Quilt in a Day pattern and the principles of the blocks seems easy and quick.  I don't know about doing it all in a day, especially if I had to do all the cutting of the strips, but I hope it goes together quick. 



     This is the  Preemie quilt I put together for the guild.  I had picked it up this fall, and finally got the binding on it and ready to hand in this weekend. 



     It is a beautiful sunny day here, so after I finish my second cup of tea of the morning, hmmm maybe it's my third, I am going to go for a nice walk, then come home, do a little housework and get back at the Amish quilt.    Hope you are having sunshine, where ever you are.

Happy Stitching
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment